Operating room (OR) management refers to processes that ensure a smooth surgical workflow while shortening the time and improving positive outcome of the surgeries.
Processes such as data management, inventory management, surgery scheduling and planning, communication among surgical staff both inside and outside the OR, and improved visualization, reporting, and documentation can be considered as the part of the overall solutions.
According to BIS Research, the global operating room management solutions market report highlights that the market was valued at $2.02 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach 3.69 billion by the end of 2031.
Types of Operating Room Management Solutions:
The following is a list of the different types of Operating Room management solutions and their definitions.
1. OR Data Management: Data management software uses different kinds of operating room data as input and transforms them to create a database consisting of a uniform data. These include processes such as multimedia video-over-IP, streaming, archival, and integration of video/image data.
2. OR Communication Solutions: Communication in the operating room is crucial since a high degree of coordination between individuals is required to reduce risk-adjusted morbidity. Communication software helps all medical professionals, from nurses to anaesthesiologists to surgeons, to be in synchronization with each other.
3. Anaesthesia Information Management Systems (AIMS): These are software solutions that are used to manage a patient’s entire perioperative experience. These are integrated into a hospital’s electronic health record (EHR) system.
4. OR Scheduling Software: Scheduling software enables easy scheduling for operating rooms. It generates printouts of staff schedules for surgery booking, color-coded scheduling to view at a glance, multi-room scheduling, doctor’s day list for chart tracking, and block scheduling for operating rooms.
5. OR Supply Management Solutions: OR supply management software helps in inventory management to ensure a streamlined movement of materials from the supply chain to their point of use in the OR.
6. OR Performance Management Solutions: these software solutions utilize standardized key performance indicators (KPIs) to quantitatively measure the performance efficiency in an OR.
In addition to these, software solutions for image analysis, visualization, reporting, and documentation are some other types of OR management solutions. Image analysis software is designed to capture and save pictures from surgical procedures. Visualization software enables surgeons to access the patient’s data and images at the operating table. Reporting and documentation software enables secure documentation of all patient records.
Trends Influencing OR Management Solutions Industry
Let’s learn how a few trends influence OR management solutions sector.
• Speech Control in OR Management Solutions: The transition from buttons to touchscreens has progressed a step further, with gadgets and equipment in the operating room being operated through voice commands.
Touchless software control has the potential to revolutionize how surgeons’ interface with instruments and software in the operating room.
A surgeon can use voice-based commands to conduct various tasks without having to interrupt operating the patient, such as zooming in or out of a displayed view from across the room, changing the content presented on a monitor, and so on.
Furthermore, the inclusion of speech control features will also liberate surgeons from distractions, allowing them to focus more on the actual surgical procedure.
• Integration of Different Software with the Operating Room Software: Although operating room management software is useful for streamlining the operating room procedures, it cannot function in isolation.
Even though different services are offered by companies to make the overall package more appealing, the integration of the software with software platforms present in the hospital would also improve efficiency.
For example, the Mayo Clinic integrated OR scheduling software with its existing pathology laboratory platform and concluded that this integration improved the surgical preparation and logistics.
• Increasing Adoption of Hybrid OR: The use of hybrid ORs has increased dramatically around the world. A hybrid operating room is a unique procedural operating room that merges a traditional operating room with an image-guided interventional suite.
In an aseptic environment, hybrid operating rooms include surgical instruments, instruments, surgical tables, surgical lighting systems, equipment management systems, and operating room management software with a fixed or mobile imaging system.
A hybrid operating room provides several benefits, such as assuring patient safety in the OR, preserving the efficiency of hospital staff, and making the OR more efficient in terms of time and cost-effectiveness.
To summarize, the goal of operational OR management solution is to maximize the facility’s efficiency and productivity — in other words, to maximize the number of surgical cases that can be performed on a given day while minimizing the required resources and associated expenses.