The anti-fingerprint coating is widely used to achieve anti-smudge properties on various devices. The anti-fingerprint layer enables achieving low maintenance cost of the product by facilitating less adhesion of dirt and moisture. Thus, several companies use an anti-fingerprint coating to differentiate their products in the competitive market.
The adoption of these coatings helps the end-user companies to obtain a cost advantage over others. The entire market has been impacted, thereby increasing the opportunity for anti-fingerprint coating manufacturers.
The anti-fingerprint coating market can expand rapidly because of the improved functionality and distinct properties of these coatings, which are required in applications such as smartphones, monitors, televisions, wearables, notebooks, and tablets. In addition, the anti-fingerprint coating is also used for applications across broad categories such as consumer goods, building and construction, automotive, stainless steel, and others.
Following are some of the areas where anti-fingerprint coatings are being used:
- Smartphones: The displays used in smartphones have experienced significant change due to cutting-edge materials and developments. The presence of anti-fingerprint coating provides smudge resistance to the screen. The coating comes with an oleophobic layer that does not allow oil and grease to adhere to the surface, resulting in reduced friction and lesser spots.
- Television: With the introduction of screen-touch televisions and displays, there has been an increase in research and development to address the problem of fingerprints and dirt that impair the appearance of the surface. Cleaning big LCD and LED television screens is one of the concerns while purchasing, from the consumers’ end, as excessive cleaning increases scratched and damaged screens. The anti-fingerprint coating minimizes fingerprint adhesion and is appropriate for application in glass and plastic substrates. However, the use of anti-fingerprint coating on televisions and monitor screens is still at a nascent stage.
- Architectural Glass: The modern structure of buildings is now being constructed in a more aesthetically pleasing manner to be technologically upgraded to reduce the maintenance cost and have enhanced features such as self-cleaning. The usage of anti-fingerprint coating helps improve the substrate’s quality and increases its aesthetical value. Besides, the fingerprint impressions interfere with the view when exposed to sunlight, thereby creating a distraction from the display. The commercialization of anti-fingerprint coating is anticipated to bring a cost-effective solution to the display screen.
- Automotive: The automotive industry has developed rapidly by introducing human-machine interfaces (HMIs) and displays. Different automotive parts require several protective coatings for obtaining additional durability. The anti-fingerprint coatings are majorly consumed by infotainment and central control systems and interior assembly parts under the automotive industry. The significance of anti-fingerprint coating in these segments, along with their future predictions, is described in the following sections.
- Steel: High-quality stainless-steel products are usually coated with protective coatings so that the final product maintains its surface characteristics and is durable. The coating does not negatively impact the appearance of the steel and has become a preferred choice for the household appliance industry. Adopting anti-fingerprint coated stainless steel is extensively witnessed in medical and clinical equipment where hygiene is the foremost concern.